The Food Centre is an innovative and team oriented organization. We provide technical support to agri-food business owners who want to take advantage of growth opportunities in the Canadian food processing sector. We are an industry leader in providing services to advance Saskatchewan's food industry and giving companies a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
To work at the Food Centre, you must be willing to work in an evironment that is challenging, team oriented, and results oriented. We seek individuals with a diverse background and skills in the food industry.
The Food Centre offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits package to qualified candidates.
Food industry entrepreneurs work with the Food Centre to take their food processing ideas from the concept stage to the commercial market place. The Food Centre’s AWESOME program is designed to advance women entrepreneurs in the agri-food industry through skills development. The AWESOME program is growing and we are looking to hire a detail-oriented agri-food specialist to help build the program.
The Agri-Food Business Specialist will have the following skills and abilities:
- A good knowledge of business start-up and expansion requirements; including customer research, product development cycle, product life-cycle, business plan development, marketing research, commercial marketing, (domestic and export), determining financial requirements, human resource management and other relevant topics to the successful operation of a business in the food industry.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Business development including effective use of social media platforms.
- Be a self-starter with excellent time and focus management.
- An ability to build webinars would be an asset
- An ability to travel inter-provincially to complete various work assignments (Alberta and Manitoba).
- At least five years of demonstrated practical business experience.
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree
The Food Safety and Quality Assurance (FSQA) Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the overall quality and food safety in their assigned areas through the management of regulatory, company, and customer policies, programs and work instructions. Ensure all products meet company specifications and are produced in a wholesome manner that meets company requirements. This requires working closely with other departments on production issues/situations, product dispositions and investigations into root causes for deficiencies. Must assist in managing quality programs and exercising technical expertise, including training, assessing performance and making improvements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This list is not all inclusive, other duties assigned as necessary.
- Conduct all quality inspections in the area of assigned responsibility and manage quality programs. Maintain quality objectives, prevent complaints/claims and keep quality to specifications through accurate inspections, non-compliance procedures, appropriate reporting, corrective actions and accuracy of paperwork along with sample submissions. Routine verifications and inspections include process, metal detector type checks.
- Responsible for catching out of specification product by stopping the production process or removing product for rework as required.
- Works with other departments to implement procedure changes, based on predetermined specifications, involving raw materials/finished goods to remedy the cause of any non-compliance as quickly as possible.
- Ability to interpret customer/sales specifications and apply subjective quality decisions to product (ie: product appearance, color, texture, etc).
- Ability to effectively communicate with plant production, plant management. Management staff should always be aware of when issues arise. It is the technician's responsibility to communicate these to the appropriate personnel.
- Must be able to keep accurate documentation. FSQA Coordinator is required to pull/observe a "true sample". This is done by choosing "Random" samples and not by selecting pieces that would either pass or fail.
- FSQA Coordinator is required to conduct operational sanitation inspections. The duties include regular completion of Quality and Food Safety, CCP and sanitation paperwork that should ultimately result in no FS deviations. GMP and Sanitation audits are conducted as directed with documented corrective actions and follow-up as necessary.
- FSQA Coordinator is required to take action in response to poor observations by identifying/correcting deficiencies for negative micro or shelf life data in their area of responsibility with an eye toward improvement.
- Follow all appropriate departmental procedures regarding all potential QA or FS holds.
- Various other tasks can be assigned by the FSQA management team as business needs progress.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the work environment, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Requires a B.S. in Meat or Food Science or other related area of study; or 4+ years in the food industry. Candidate needs a basic knowledge of processing plant operations, Food Industry Regulations (USDA, SSOP, HACCP, and GMP) or the combination of education and experience that enables performance in all aspects of the position. A PLUS: HACCP Certification and basic SQF training desirable.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work well with others. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and/or governmental regulations. Requires the ability to work as a team member and individually to complete given tasks.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents in the English language such as safety files and procedure manuals. Must be able to effectively communicate with management personnel and others within and outside of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply mathematical applications to practical situations. Must possess strong analytical and metric-based skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical, diagram, written and/or verbal form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to troubleshoot, analyze varying situations and develop quantifiable solutions.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Proficient in computer skills such as Outlook, Excel and Word, as well as all standard programs used by the industry and the ability to learn and effectively use any and all other computer programs that are or will be made available. Must be organized, detail oriented and possess good troubleshooting skills. Must have reliable transportation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear. Generally the incumbent must be able to sit and use a computer for extended periods of time. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; move about the facility; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift, push/pull up to 40 pounds. Must be able to climb ladders and platforms and enter confined spaces. Must be able to wear all safety equipment. Individual must be able to effectively work in a laboratory environment as well as normal production environment where temperatures and noise levels may vary.
This position will be working within the Agri-Food Innovation Centre on Schuyler Street. The Food Centre offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package to qualified candidate.
No phone calls please.
Closing date: June 30th, 2020
- Experience 2-5 years in a sanitation role
- Excellent people skills
- Well versed in OH&S
- WHMIS 2015
- Scissor Lift certified
- PME Certified (preferred)